Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishlog's Log

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Default Fishlog's Log

I think I am going to start with this whole diary thinging too. I buy and sell so much stuff it would be nice to be able to keep track of it.

Of course theres only three things that have managed to stay in my collection since I started playing guitar.

A Yamaha Acoustic. My mom bought it for me, I'll keep it for ever. Learned a lot of stuff on that old guitar. Actions about a foot off the board but its still cool. Specially the chip board case which is littered with about a hundred of those stickers you get from radio stations when your leaving a concert.

Second is my main acoustic, a Taylor. Not sure what model number. I don't pick it up to much anymore but its a serious twangy acoustic. I never put it in its case. I'm liking how its aging. Someday when it sounds Crappy enough, I'll Make my way down to the Mississippi Delta and record my back porch blues album.

Last is my Fender 50's Strat. Yes its MIM. Best neck I ever played. I've done some thing to it but thats another days thread.
    Sugar Plum Fairy, Sugar Plum Fairy

FenderTalker
    Thanks

I just Brought my Strat in to have it re-set-up. Last week I decided to have heavier strings put on. Ernie Ball Heavy Bottoms. Big mistake. Not only did I not like it, it changed my sound and caused my wrist problems to act up. I was stupid not to foresee the wrist thing but the sound I had inticapated was no there. I was thinking of more of a tight, chordy sound instead it seemed flat and taught.

It also messed up the guitar pretty well so I needed to have it set-up after I could not do it with the heavier strings. Now its back hopefully getting it to its original form again!

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Whew! Now that was close, don't try that again!
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I'm curious... :?

Is it hard to play guitar in a Storm Troopers uniform while reading on the can? :D
    There ain't nothing you can't play on a Telecaster

http://www.facebook.com/ajaytele
    Drop by and say G'day!

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Its hard to do anything on the can except read... and sometimes even thats hard!

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Its all on eBay as of tonight. I bought a lot of stuff this month but I put the one thing I thought I would not get rid of on there as well.

A Gibson SG Classic with p-90's
    My parts Tele
    a 1983 Marshall JCM 800 1x12
    and the hard one
    a 1967 Bandmaster head... I might still pull it off. I just can't swing a cabinet right now and with winter coming heat the house is more important.

So its back to the strat and Vibroverb.... for now

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Default heavy bottoms

Have you tried the EB hybrids.

I have been using about a year now and love them. the heavey bottoms are to heavey for my taste but i found 9s to light. the hybrids seem just right on my strat. there not every ones taste but i love them

09-46s

i know dadarrio also do a set of these i have a set waiting to go on when i get time and can put the guitar down long enough to change.

My pet hate is changing strings but love when there done.

m :D
    men never grow up ! our toys just get more expensive !

FenderTalker
    Thanks

I just went with the regular set of EB 10's. Got the guitar back on Saturday after bringing it in on Wednesday....so here is my rant

Local guitar shop, actually the only guitar shop in town. Some what of a elitist attitude but still very nice people just snobby sometimes. Anyway, First set up, I dropped it off in the Am picked it up that afternoon. This Re-Setup dropped it off Wednesday, called Friday, Got it Saturday. Its just a set up!!!!
    The store is not even that busy.

There's this awesome guitar shop in Amherst MA. Very small not a whole lot to offer for gear, mostly all used, but store has some serious vibe. But there was/is this guy sitting at a bench all day working on guitars. Best set-up guy I have ever had touch my guitar. Best part was you would give him the guitar and he'd tell you to come back in a half an hour.

So now my guitar is set back up, not the greatest set-up, but it will do until I tinker around with it.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Couple of things happened in my Bizzaro world of gear this past weekend.

First of all I sold some gear I bought in a fit of Gas... Pretty much broke even maybe made $50 to a $75 total.

What went?

Gibson SG Classic with Hardshell TKL case. Beauty of an axe. I have to remember the one reason I did not like it (So I don't buy another one) was .... um... oh darn I forgot already

Second piece to go was a 1983 MArshall JCM 800 1x12 Combo. Certainly had some bawlz, and could do every classic rocker tone.

The New stuff...

After flirting with getting rid of my 67 Bandmaster on eBay I decided to take it to guitar center to see what they might give me for it. I thought They give me $575 I cut it even they sell it for $700 (Thats what they usually go for at guitar center (way over priced)) I make my money back and Guitar Center Makes a fresh $100. Nope. The guy was like "We only give %60 of the value"

See ya!

So I thought I would have to put the BM back on the Bay. The reason for doing all this was I just could not afford to shell out $500 (even after selling all that gear) for a descent Cabinet. The low and behold at a super guitar shop over near Albany NY called Parkway Music I ended up getting a deal that would enable me to keep the Bandmaster!

$99 dollars for a Gibson 2x10 50 Plus Cab. Not sure when they made these amps but it sounded great. I got it home opened up, did a little research and found that the Speakers are vintage CTS from either '66 or '76. My guess is '76.

So it was a great couple of days!

Go Matt Cassell!!!!

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Bizarro Rocks! Way to go, dude! 8)
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.