FT Member
    Thanks

Default strings ringing open when i play other strings on new jaguar

I hope this isnt an issue that has been answered before ;)

Ive had a MIJ jag for ages and recently saw a surf green jag on ebay without matching headstock and thought I might pick this up as a bit of an investment (surf green seems to sell for more generally on ebay as it appears to be a rarer finish).
    Ive set the guitar up indentically to the last jag to stop buzz, etc.

But everytime I play the surf green jag all the open strings ring loudly - so if your playing the bottom three strings a few times the top three strings wobble and play an open sound that makes it sound quite muddy.

I put 11s on it thinking that maybe this might keep the bridge more still, but it still seems to happen - I cant seem to stop it - the saddles dont seem to be moving and are screwed pretty tight, the two screw pieces at the base of the bridge are a little loose, but other than that I cant work out whats causing this.

Any ideas? Ever heard of this before???

Fender Lover
    Thanks

It sounds like the two screw pieces may be what's causing the problem because they are loose. Every piece of the bridge has to be snug, otherwise you will have sound issues. What you could try is wrapping masking tape or electricians tape around the bridge posts to snug them up if they're not threaded. Some Jazzmaster owners use a Mustang bridge because they are a better design. A Mustang bridge might work on your Jag. Let me know if it works out.

FT Member
    Thanks

Thanks mate. Ill give that a try and let you know how i go. cheers/.

FT Member
    Thanks

well ive wrapped the pins in a few layers of cling wrap and they are now very firmly in place and not wobbling at all. Doesnt seem to have made a difference unfortunately. I lowered the legs of the bridge and made sure that all the saddles are tight.
    The only thing I can think of now is whether the actual sockets are loose or something - the area where the bridge sits??

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I just read the reviews about jaguars at http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...ar/10/1...Many Jag owners complain about the crappy bridge, and recommend switching to a Mustang unit.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

im not to experienced with jags but it could be the pickups(height, ect.) or something of that sort.