FT Member
    Thanks

Default to buy a jaguar or jazzmaster? that is the question

I really cant decide which one Id rather buy. Ive tried both - particularly the jaguar.
    I found the jazzmaster looked better, sounded meatier and had more fuzz type vibe, but ive also been told that if you take one on stage its feedback city.

The sound im interested in is really a clean trebbly sound - kinda like Bernard Butler but with the warmth and clarity of a single coil.

Which one would you get??

FenderTalker
    Thanks

eddie i have original 1963 jaguar and i love it........keep in mind that the jazz is the same scale as the strat and the jag is a shorter scale some people are sloppy when playing the jag.... the jag sometimes has a mind of its own.... :shock: as for a beefier sound the jazz is better but for king of the surf or clean trebble sound the jag for sure..... as i like the jag better and i believe you do too... :D

Fenderfied
    Thanks

That's funny, I had a 1964 Jaguar, hardly used, and foolishly traded it for a new Strat, which I later sold for $600. I've had a history of making these bad moves, just like the '72 Tele went for an 1989 Strat. But that was "then":roll:

This is now. If you do get the Jazzmaster, you can probably upgrade the pickups with TV Jones or another guy that tele savalas knows, maybe Curtis Novak, not sure. Aftermarket gurus build pickups that are giggable and don't squeal. :D

FT Member
    Thanks

ive been doing some research. So A jazzmaster would generally sound pretty mid to bassy and not that trebbly? compared to a clean jag? WHich has the most distinct sound??

FT Member
    Thanks

well i tried them both today. Prefer the sound of the jazz and the tonal variation, but i like the neck and scale length of the jag better. Two options:

1. change the jag pickups to some of the aftermarket jobs that provide greater tonal variations, or:

2. chuck a jag neck on a jazzmaster??

FT Member
    Thanks

Ive gone back to the store, replayted both at length and despite the fact tha jazz looks kinda nicer, the jaguar is definately the guitar for me. I love it.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

You're certainly making every effort to decide.

I hope you end up with what's best for you then. :P

Re-sale value on both those models isn't high, I've found out, so it's definitely a personal decision, and you keep & enjoy whatever feels right.

That's what it is about basically, when it's YOUR guitar, not someone else's.

FT Member
    Thanks

well im glad i got the jag - it is ten times better than i expected. Beautiful guitar. I actually ALMOST prefer it to my american strat and it kicks arse over my les paul gibson standard.
    Its funny. I watch all these bands now days playing jazzmasters and hollow-body gibsons and epiphones and I get the feeling a lot of them play these instruments purely becuase they look good rather than becuaes they cater for the sound they actually want.
    Give me a good strat or a jaguar any day.
    The japanese jazzmaster sounded super muddy in all but one setting and that was kinda nice kinda fuzzy, whereas the jag is like a telecaster without string through body. Sounds awesome and the tremolo rocks.
    I think ill sell my les paul. I prefer fenders.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

I've always found the jazzmaster to be more visually appealing. I've played my dad's jazzmaster, which I believe is a 75. I wanted to get a jazzmaster reissue, but it was to expensive, so I went with the strat.
    This machine will not communicate.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

That's a no-brainer. Sounds like you better go away from feedback city straight to Jaguar City. They are pretty good guitars when it comes to treble. lol. But in the end, it matters what you like and want. Have fun!
    "Looks like you're picking today."-Danny