Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused

Thanks

Default Confused

Ok here my deal, I have a very nice bass, a Fender Jazz Bass. The thing wasnt cheep so I would think that the hardware such as the nut would be properly cut. Well the story begins with me having to adjust my string height, because I was getting buzz all over(I know how to use my truss rod, my necks good) I proceed to raise my action. Those who know a thing or too, know when you adjust the height of your stirng, not only do you have to re-itonate, but the note become sharp. So you must tune down. Well when I tune down, my bass begins to make a ringing, not buzzing, ringing noise coming from the bass. This is not good, because I just bought a nice new amp. Now of course the ringing is more prominent unplugged, but even plugged in I could sorta hear it, and it was comin from a 250 watter. So I assumed, my nut my was cut to low. So I heard of a trick were putting a dab of glue in the slot of the nut will raise the string. I proceed to do this, and low and behold it works. So here I'm thinking, Im a genius! Well my friend who has been playing bass for a long while before me, invited me over to check out his new amp. While he was setting up the amp, I got bored. So I mosied over to his bass, and played. I hit and open A note, and a familiar sound eminated from his bass. Now I know it possible for two basses to have a same problem, little awkward that it was two MIM Jazz Basses, but I shrug it off. Ill bash(not litterally) my bass for sounding bad, but not a buddies. So I go to play his Squire....AND THERE IT IS AGAIN! So those who are more knowledgable then myself. What to blame here? The nut, strings, which could be, all the string that are on our basses have been on there for 5 months +, or finally is it the fact that I am going insane, and need to be locked away at some looney house. Now don't get me wrong its noticable. I notice, and so does my friend. But is it normal, now thats the question. People with MIM Jazz Basses please let me know if you heard this sound too?

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I am a little confused. When you hit an open string, you get a "ring". Can you describe the ring?
    Does it sound like the note is vibrating, going sharp and then flat, or is there a reverb pitch on the note?

One thing you might check which you did not mention is by raising your action a little you changed the space between the pick up and the string. Sometimes this can lead to a weird sound as the vibrations interact with other strings pick ups. Try raising your pick ups a little and see waht happens

Fenderfied
    Thanks

As you've said, the problem is more prominent when unplugged.

There are 3 things that cause this on a Jazz Bass.

1. Loose truss rod. Sympathetic vibration with the note A at A-440 pitch
    2. The barrel saddle has two screws which act as legs & feet. Both must be contacting the bridge plate.
    3. The spring over the saddle adjustment screw could be too slack, as this saddle is stretched forward. Hold a finger on it while plucking the string. If that is the problem, remove the saddle, stretch the spring, replace with the tighter 2 or more spring coils (the finished end) contacting the saddle, instead of the bridge tail.

Thanks

I appriciate the help, now I dont think the pickup would effect it if it was unpluggged, and the noise accureded notice the "ed" at the end. What meen by that is that I use to have this problem a drop of glue in the a nut slot at the nut stopped the sound all together, now liek I said I know I may be reminsicing about old problem, but still the fact that other Fender I have played have made this noise too, make me wonder if I was possibly being too narrodic. As for the second poster I've rapped on the back of my neck, no lose truss rod here. The problem was deffinetly coming from the headstock too, on all the basses, that were examined by myself. So I dont really think its the bridge.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Oh well, SORRY, we've tried. At least your problem is in the past, we hope.

I played my MIM Jazz Bass tonight with ultra-low, guitar-style action, and the only unusual sounds I heard were the E and A strings hitting, or colliding with the 12 th fret, when plucked hard & open.

And that doesn't bother me. No problems with the nut, headstock or tight tuners.

Thanks

My apologies for sounding snooty, I just want people to get the idea. Actually its not when my string low. It when I raised the action and have to down tune it so it in tune. I have experienced this on alot of Fender bass with high action, thats all I'm saying. I just wanted to know if there anyone else who has a moderatly high action who has problem with a ringing. That about the best way I can describe is ring/buzz...not my phone!, that came from the nut/tuner. General headstock area. Thats all.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Take it to a guitar tech. Your problem is just interesting enough it needs to be addressed in person.
    [color=red]Just "Tele'in" it like it is.[/color]
    www.myspace.com/reubenadkins

Thanks

I fixed the problem, maybe I should make that a little clear. I FIXED IT! But I have also noticed that it happpens on numerous, and almost every MIM Jazz Bass I've played, and also on a Squire P Bass. So I really dobut they all have a problem. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem on there Jazz Bass, and if its just something that happens.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Fixed is good. Hope it stays that way.

I don't think it's been too much of a recurring problem around here.

Thanks

Hi,
    I think I've got the same problem with a MIM P-Bass, there's a kind of rattle when I play hard on strings (got lot of action, checked frets, bridge, removed pickguard and pickups).
    The rattle is not the problem itself because it can hardly be heard thru the amplifier.
    The problem is that it affects the sound and the sustain.
    Since the rattle began, my bass sounds less "magic".

After trying many different settings, I brang it to a tech.
    He changed the neck angle, tightened slighly the truss rod... and the bass sounded magic again. Good news ?

Well... the problem is back today (after 1,5 week of magic) althought I didnt change any setting on the bass...

Any idea ?

I'd really enjoy to know how Imjacksbass solved he's problem, but 2006 is a long time ago...

Guillaume

PS: excuse my english... I'm french